I love how stories let me slip out of my own life and slip into a different one. Through books, I've lived a thousand lives instead of just my own. When I meet new people, even if their lives are very different from mine, I try to imagine how life feels to them. Reading stories is great practice at putting yourself in other people's shoes, which is essential for making good friends … and maybe even creating world peace!—Laura Resau, Red Glass
Please come join Kids Need to Read at any of our events. We are always busy making new plans and there are several groups putting on their own fundraisers on our behalf.
June 2-5, 2016
Phoenix Comicon 2016
Phoenix Convention Center and Hyatt Regency Phoenix
KNTR Booth 1078
Kids Need to Read has a fantastic line-up of events at Phoenix Comicon 2016, thanks to the convention’s staff and volunteers, as well as the sponsors, artists, cosplayers, authors and KNTR volunteers who contribute their time and talents to support our organization! We are thrilled to partner with Arizona Coyotes again on this year’s KNTR Build-a-Book program with Steven Riley! From children’s activities to nightly parties and creative fundraisers benefiting Kids Need to Read, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Be sure to look for The Page Coach at the car show and please come join us for a geektastic weekend!
Schedule of Activities
- KNTR Build-a-Book Program with Steven Riley, Sponsored by ARIZONA COYOTES at KNTR Booth 1078
- Free Highlights magazines for kids (provided by HIGHLIGHTS FOR CHILDREN); literacy-themed art, products and raffles; Adopt-a-Reading Buddy; and more at KNTR booth 1078
- Sketch Off: Deadpool, Benefiting KNTR, Thursday, 3:00 PM–4:00 PM, North, Room121A
- Star Wars Blast-A-Trooper, Hosted by 501ST LEGION DUNE SEA GARRISON, Benefiting KNTR, Friday through Sunday, 1:30 PM–3:30 PM, Star Wars Neighborhood, North, Hall of Heroes
- Adams Street Party, Benefiting KNTR, live music, food trucks, bar (must have ID), Friday through Sunday, 11:00 AM–11:00 PM (ends at 4:30 PM on Sunday), Adams Street between 1st and 2nd Streets next to Hyatt Regency
- Sketch Off: Harley Quinn, Benefiting KNTR, Friday, 3:00 PM–4:00 PM, North, Room 121B
- Jareth the Goblin King’s Masquerade Ball, Labyrinth 30th anniversary celebration, raffles & games benefit KNTR, Friday, 6:00 PM–9:00 PM, Phoenix Convention Center, North, Room 120
- KNTR Charity Texas Hold’em Tournament, Benefiting KNTR, Hosted by LUPINE ENTERTAINMENT, cash only, Friday, 7:00 PM (7 hours), Hyatt Regency Phoenix Ballroom, PhxB
- ARIZONA AVENGERS Raffle, Benefiting KNTR, Saturday, 11:00 AM–6:00 PM, AZA booth, North, Hall of Heroes
- Sketch Off: Marvel Civil War, Benefiting KNTR, Saturday, 12:00 PM–1:00 PM, North, Room 121C
- Sketch Off: Batman vs. Superman, Benefiting KNTR, Saturday, 4:30 PM–5:30 PM, North, Room 121C
- Drinks with Authors, Hosted by KNTR, visit with authors in informal setting, raffles benefit KNTR, publisher giveaways, Saturday, 6:00 PM–9:00 PM, Phoenix Convention Center, North, Room 120
- One Party To Rule Them All, Hosted by BLUE RIBBON ARMY, Benefiting KNTR (TICKETS), 18+ after hours party, fantasy theme, special drinks, music, dancing, surprises, Saturday, 10:00 PM, Phoenix Convention Center, North, Room 120CD
- Youth Fashion Show, Hosted by KNTR, non-competitive costume fashion show for kids 12 & under, goodie bag for all participants, Sunday, 12:00 Noon, West, Room 212ABC
- Sketch Off: My Little Pony, Benefiting KNTR, Sunday, 1:30 PM–2:30 PM, North, Room 121A
Children will learn how to create their own stories and illustrations during this highly entertaining program. All Build-a-Book participants will receive a special-edition Coyotes goodie backpack, sponsored by Arizona Coyotes, and filled with a book, Highlights magazine, and other treasures. This program is very popular, so be sure to stop by the booth to sign your children up for a spot.
Friday & Saturday, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM
Sunday, 1:00 PM (joined by HOWLER, mascot of Arizona Coyotes) and 3:00 PM
September 1, 2015–August 31, 2016
Fry's Community Rewards Program
Fry's Food Stores
Here is an easy way for shoppers at Fry's Food Stores to support Kids Need to Read! Simply register your VIP card online and then select Kids Need to Read as your Community Rewards preference (takes mere moments)—KNTR will receive a percentage of $2,000,000 over the next year, September 1, 2015–August 31, 2016. Simply put, it costs participants nothing other than the time it takes to register their VIP cards in support of Kids Need to Read. The more shoppers support KNTR through their VIP purchases, the higher the percentage of funds the organization will receive. Click here for registration information. Your support is so valuable and deeply appreciated!